The government has taken several steps in e-governance services in different departments to enable government services to reach the common people effectively and expeditiously. The objective of e-governance services is to ensure better service delivery to citizens, bring transparency and accountability, empower common people through information, improve the efficiency of government operations, and better interfacing of business and industry. These services are available across the country at the national, state, district and block level.
To make all government services available to common people regardless of where they are located,the National e-Governance Plan (NeGP) was formed to ensure “efficiency, transparency and reliability” of the services at affordable costs.
The NeGP intends to provide web-enabled anytime, anywhere access to information and services throughout the country, with a focus on rural and remote parts. The e-governance infrastructure created by the government offers end-to-end transitional experience for citizens such as accessing various services through the Internet with payment gateway to enable online payments. To realize this objective, DeitY and NSDL Database Management Ltd (NDML) have built a common infrastructure. This can be used by Center/States/Departments to make any offer of the diverse services via their National/State portal to enable online payments using Internet banking, credit and debit cards. This is what PayGov is.
How to make payments
PayGov offers several payment options. Citizens can use these options to avail services offered by the government. The options include Internet banking (in about 65 banks), debit card, credit card, IMPS, NEFT/RTGS, and Cash card/Wallets. The service charges that PayGov levies are fixed by DeitY. Any revision in charges applies to all government departments on board PayGov India.
Single platform for payments and settlement
- PayGov can be used for payments (citizens debiting their bank/ card account for payment to the government) and settlements (amount of money in relevant tax head major/minor head into government treasury with challan, which includes BSR + CIN or an agency bank or bank account of department/PSU/Local Bodies).
- For treasury payments, money is to be settled into treasury at T+1. Uniform process across all channels including Internet banking/cards (debit and credit/Wallets/IMPS/cash cards).
- The government department portals auto-settle or auto cancel or settle according to advice of government departments though an automated process.
Ease of operations
- Daily settlement process continues post end of the day (EOD) with all the government departments for settlements.
- The daily payment process runs round the clock for the citizens to enable payment by going to the payment platform and at EOD, it redirects all payments into a bank account or a government treasury.
- Exception handling continues on an as-and-when required based, if any exceptions arise in the system, and it requires special treatment.
- Daily refunds: For refunds, PayGov acts an interface for refunds.
Integrates all payment channels
- Citizens can pay over 100 entities managed by PayGov India as daily activity.
- The payment channels include more than 65 banks, Debit card (Visa/ MasterCard/ Maestro/ RuPay/ ATM Cards), Credit Cards (Visa/ MasterCard/ Amex/ Dinners), Cash cards, Wallets, IMPS and NEFT/RTGS.
Single point of integration
- No need to integrate with various banks, no regular maintenance as PayGov does the job (ex: any new security, etc. directive).
- As PayGov complies with all statutory and audit requirement no such compliance is needed on the part of the individual.
- The round the clock data centric MIS prepares reports for government departments as and when they need (real time and EOD).
- Because of standardization of MIS and operations, the internal teams of participating banks do not need coordination.
No change in portal
A new channel, when added, does not entail any change in the government portal.
- Users can know the status of their transactions and get it using the query support feature.
- PayGov is compatible with any technology: platforms and devices.
PayGov is a reliable payment system for online payments for citizens, businesses and the government. It has made all transactions secure, cashless, transparent, easily traceable and non-reputable: the attributes of a robust payments and settlements system.