India is predominantly an agricultural economy, and therefore, land records maintenance and statistics play an important role, and affects the quality of distribution of land among the farming community, as well as the overall efficiency of agriculture in the economy. An efficient and well-maintained land records system is essential for the good of the society and economy. Therefore, it is incumbent upon governments to make sure that land records are with nil error, tamperproof, and are easily accessible to common citizens. Landholding is an important aspect of agriculture.
What are land records?
The term land record is a broad term that encompasses such official records as the register of lands, Record of Rights (RoRs), tenancy and crop inspection register, disputed case register, mutation register, and the like. Along with this, it also covers information pertaining to geographical aspects including the shape, the size, the type of the soil in the land and economic aspects such as whether the land is irrigated, and what crops accrue.
Government policy objective
One of the most important tasks that is confronting the authorities is the maintenance of land records, as well as making information easily accessible.
Under the National e-Governance Program, e-governance has been extended to land records as well, with the objective of bringing transparency, to make access to information easy, bring accountability and minimize corruption in the process.
As part of the e-governance initiative, the Land Records MMP is being implemented by the Ministry of Rural Development (MoRD) of the government. Affairs pertaining to land records have been brought into its ambit.
The MMP is being implemented in all states to achieve completion of all data entry work pertaining to the digitization of land records, assigning legal validity to computerized Record of Rights, closing the issuance of manual RoRs, starting computer centers at tehsils and enabling access to records online.
The prime objective of Land Record MMP is to:
- Make it easy to maintain and update the land databases.
- Facilitate complete scrutiny to make the land records tamper-proof so that the ever prevailing litigation on land ownership and social conflicts related to land ownership could be minimized.
- Ensure and provide the support for implementing development programs. For this all, data on distribution of land holding is essential.
- Make it easy for the appropriate authorities to plan for infrastructural and environment management.
- Make it easy to prepare a collection of records in the mechanized process, which could lead to the creation of accurate documents for furnishing details, including collection of land revenue, cropping pattern and so on.
- Make it easy to create a unique set of standards and ad-hoc queries on land data.
- Create a rich database for agricultural census.
The services known as Core Services offered under the Land Records MMP include:
- Issuance of copies of RoRs
- Details of crops, soil and irrigation
- Filing and tracking the status of mutation cases
- Availability and submission of forms
Maintenance of land records is an important aspect of the agrarian economy. The Land Record MMP would help in realizing the objective of ensuring the quality of governance by bringing easy accessibility to data, efficiency in data storing, making the authorities accountable and bringing transparency.